TOPAZ BUTTERFLY

This is just a collection of my own thoughts. Writing, is my way of letting my voice be heard. Don't ever catch a butterfly by its wings!

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A to Z

I just found out that my childhood friend is expecting a baby the end of March. It is a very exciting time in her life and I am honored to share in the wonder of this new experience. Nothing makes me think about the meaning of it all more than the infinite circle of life. There is nothing like the urgency of a new generation nipping at your heels. All of sudden I want to be this sage and impart wisdom. It's a little scary, but I will do my best as this baby's surrogate aunt. In order to impart wisdom which is a huge responsibility, I must share the benefits of my own experiences and my shared experiences with the baby's Mom. Words of wisdom:

To: Baby Girl
1. Cry to get what you want (at first)
2. Get a lot of sleep (You need you're beauty rest) i.e. I will read you fairytales
3. Sharing is a good thing contrary to popular belief.
4. Look both ways before crossing the street ( even though you have the right of way)
5. Never challenge a boy no matter how cute to a bike race. ( It can only end badly)
6. Don't call boys! (or write sappy love letters no matter how much you make like him)
7. The trick is to look like you are not wearing any make up at all (stay away from black eyeliner for as long as possible)
8. Don't ever slap a guy no matter how big a jerk he is. R-E-S-P-E-C-T
9. Don't ever put peroxide or any other unnatural agent in your hair.
10. Obey your parents (This one is very important!)
11. Guard your heart.
Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."
12. Beauty comes from the inside ( Develop a healthy self-image)
Psalm 45:11 "The king is enthralled with your beauty"

To Baby Boy:

1. Cry to get what you want (at first)
2. Get as much sleep as possible (Even handsome princes should sleep once in a while.)
3. Sharing is a good thing contrary to popular belief.
4. Look both ways before crossing the street especially if you are playing "Chicken" with the
guys
Proverbs 10:1 "A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish son grief to his mother".
5. Let the girls WIN!
6. Wipe your muddy feet.
7. Leave the toliet seat down.
8. Never tell a girl that she is fat even if it's true.
9. Don't ask a girl how much she weighs (This just isn't a good idea.)
10. Pull out chairs and open doors.
11. Good guys finish last is a myth.
12. Obey your parents (This one is important!)
Ephesians 6:1 "Children obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right."

Although I don't have any children of my own. I am starting to see how the process works. When the time comes I will just pass on what I have learned from my parents to my kids. I will pass on everything from A to Z. (i.e. the above mentioned is just "LMNOP"). For now I will enjoy being an occasional caregiver. Like a fine wine I will get better with time. I think that parenthood is making it up as you go. Thank goodness I have had a wonderful example. "A to Z" is a metaphor for life and I believe the process starts over when you become a parent; back at the beginning experiencing all the ups and downs of life vicariously through your kids. Is it any wonder that babies put everything in perspective? A baby is a miracle. It makes absolute and perfect sense.

2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness."

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge him, and he wil make your paths straight."

Hebrews 4:16 "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need"

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life."

Deuteronomy 6:5 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."


To Unborn Child:

A dream that started in a young girl's heart
Scribbling down names while sitting in a church pew
The seed has been planted
It's time to grow

And soon your mother will begin to show
An ever present healthy glow
A dream that began so long ago
Can only be realized when you are due

Then you will begin this wonderful journey called life
Where you will experience days filled with joy, uncertainty
And sometimes strife
I hope that I am close by for a few
And as much as I love your mother
I am sure I will love you
I am pretty sure I already do

For whether you are born day or night
I am sure your parents will love you at first sight
And whether you be a girl or a boy
You are sure to fill the hearts of the ones around you
With unspeakable joy

No matter what your name will be from A to Z
You will be one hundred percent loved
Especially by the One above


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home